The Worcester Joint Apprenticeship & Training Program was set up by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local Union 96 and the Central Massachusetts Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) over forty years ago.
Our mission is to educate and train the members of the IBEW so we may provide our signatory contractors with apprentices, trainees, technicians, and journeymen who have superior skills, knowledge, and abilities; making them leaders in the electrical industry.
The Worcester Joint Apprenticeship & Training Committee oversees the program and is made up of three trustees from the IBEW and three trustees from NECA.
The Program has a full-time training director, an administrative assistant, six instructors dedicated to apprentice and trainee education and four others who instruct continuing education classes. The electrical apprentices and voice/data/video trainees attend school two nights a week, for over 160 hours a year; and are also required to do community service for each year of their schooling.
Our instructors and committee members are active in all aspects of the electrical industry. It is with their combined knowledge and backgrounds that we are able come together and provide the highest level of training and education to those working in the electrical industry in Central Massachusetts.
This classification is responsible for the installation of all electrical system wiring and equipment required by commercial, industrial, and residential buildings.
Requirements: Complete 5 years of schooling, 8,000 hours of on-the-job training, and obtain a Massachusetts Journeyman Electrician license.
This classification is responsible for the installation of all equipment and wiring associated with communications, computer, security, and video systems.
Requirements: Complete 3 years of schooling and 8,000 hours of on-the-job training.
- Age: Minimum age of eighteen (18) years
- Health: Physically capable of performing the work
- Testing: Aptitude test administered by the Eletrical Training Alliance
High school diploma, GED, or HiSet Certificate accepted
One year of algebra with a passing grade of C
- Residency requirements: Must reside within the jurisdiction of Local 96 (Central Massachusetts)
- Valid Massachusetts Driver’s License
- Application Period:
Monday through Friday
8:30am to 4:00pm
- Apply at: IBEW Local 96, 242 Mill Street, Worcester, MA 01602
All Applications must be complete and submitted by February 28, 2019 in order to be considered for the 2019-2020 School Year
MASSACHUSETTS LABOR NEWS
- Monday, January 7, 6pm – LU 96 Union Member Meeting at Union Hall
- Friday, January 11, 6pm – LU 96 RENEW Committee at Union Hall
- Tuesday, January, 22, 5pm – LU 96 Executive Board Meeting at Union Hall
- Thursday, January 31, 10am – LU 96 Retiree Group at Union Hall
- Monday, February 4, 6pm – LU 96 Union Member Meeting at Union Hall
- Friday, February 8, 6pm – LU 96 RENEW Committee at Union Hall
- Tuesday, February 12, 5pm - Building Corp. Meeting at Union Hall
- Tuesday, February 26, 5pm – LU 96 Executive Board Meeting at Union Hall
- Thursday, February 28, 10am – LU 96 Retiree Group at Union Hall